Hearing Improved During Airplane Flight . Why?
k***@gmail.com
2020-07-13 05:00:15 UTC
Hi John,

I have had hearing issues for past 7-8 years. Lat year finally had to get hearing aids. I dont wear them consistently, mostly for work. I first had the same experience on a flight. At about 35,000 feet my hearing literally improved so much I was grinning from ear to ear. it was a definite moment of my ears clearing when this occurred. As we descended my hearing returned to my previous hearing aids needed level. This has occurred every time I have flown, every time. I am a nurse practitioner and have talked to a few providers who dont seem to have an answer. One of them was an ENT. Surely if I can hear that well at altitude then it should be "fixable". One can hope. Thank you for posting at least i can say I am not the only one.

Regards
Kathy Skees
Hi,
On a recent flight, as the cabin pressure changed, causing my ears to "pop", I
noticed that sounds seemed much louder after the popping. I do not know if the
popping was due to increase or decrease in cabin pressure.
I am wondering if my Eustacian tubes are usually shut, and are opened
temporarily by the "popping", resulting in better hearing.
I have had my hearing tested, during which the audiologist fumbled around with
a device that attempted to apply a vacuum or a pressure to my ear canal. She
assured me that she accurately completed that part of the test, and she even
told me the name of the procedure, which I have forgotten. I think she said the
result of the "pressure" test was normal, meaning my hearing loss was not
caused
by the "pressure" or lack thereof. Sorry for the incomplete info. My memmory
loss seems to be worse than my hearing loss. :)
The test revealed a 30 % ( or 30 decible ??) loss of discernment of high pitch
voice sounds. My hearing loss occurred after a nasty cold about a year ago. The
cold also started some tinnitus, which comes and goes.
Eventually I may ask this question of my audiologist and ENT, who after all are
paid to help me, but I frankly think I will get better answers from this
newsgroup !
But back to my main question : Does a temporary hearing improvement on the
plane after "ear popping" indicate that I have hope for improving my hearing by
somehow unplugging my eustacian tubes ??
Thanks,
John
Ken Blake
2020-07-14 14:35:52 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hi John,
I have had hearing issues for past 7-8 years. Lat year finally had to get hearing aids. I dont wear them consistently, mostly for work. I first had the same experience on a flight. At about 35,000 feet my hearing literally improved so much I was grinning from ear to ear. it was a definite moment of my ears clearing when this occurred. As we descended my hearing returned to my previous hearing aids needed level. This has occurred every time I have flown, every time. I am a nurse practitioner and have talked to a few providers who dont seem to have an answer. One of them was an ENT. Surely if I can hear that well at altitude then it should be "fixable". One can hope. Thank you for posting at least i can say I am not the only one.
You are replying to a message almost *20* years old, in a newgroup that
has had virtually *no* activity for a *long* time.

It is *highly* unlikely that John is still here to see your reply. In
fact, considering that hearing aids are mostly worn only by the elderly,
there's a good chance that John is no longer alive.
Ken
k***@gmail.com