Ear mold
a***@gmail.com
2015-04-23 22:51:41 UTC
Just got a new ear mold and I experiencing soreness in my hear. So sore, I can't wear by behind the ear aids all day. Heading back to the audiologist, just wondering if any has any problems with ear molds. Thanks!
masonc
2015-04-25 00:06:26 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Just got a new ear mold and I experiencing soreness in my hear. So sore, I can't wear by behind the ear aids all day. Heading back to the audiologist, just wondering if any has any problems with ear molds. Thanks!
I must make my aid squeek to be sure I have it on my ear.
Or to be sure it's off befor I go to bed or to shower.
An America Hears aid, I fitted it with the aid of my son nine years ago.
Maybe my ears have grown to fit?

---
r.e.d.
2015-04-25 16:54:35 UTC
wrote in message news:830a3697-810a-4c76-bf79-***@googlegroups.com...

Just got a new ear mold and I experiencing soreness in my hear. So sore, I
can't wear by behind the ear aids all day. Heading back to the audiologist,
just wondering if any has any problems with ear molds. Thanks!

Yes, at least one other has had problems.
With fair and sensitive skin, I learned this the hard way, after an
unfortunate treatment of an infection caused by molds.
I documented this years ago. See:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.support.hearing-loss/r.e.d./alt.support.hearing-loss/77hkfra0Q6Q/ewKgfGww7BIJ

Today I do not use fitted ear molds but soft domes ("open fittings"). I use
the smallest available, and even those occasionally cause some itching. I
apply a tiny amount of salve every night to keep it at bay. Because I had
not had an infection in years, I tried omitting the salve.
Sure enough, after a week or so I had an infection that was cleared up after
a visit to a 24-hour clinic and a $190 antibiotic.

Soft domes aren't for more severe loss because the gain needed causes
unacceptable feedback. I am a marginal case.
I now use "receiver in the canal" aids (with open fittings) that largely
(though not always completely) eliminate feedback. Even with these
top-of-the-line aids, hearing in restaurants is still a significant issue.

Good luck.