For those who wear hearing aids, how often do you turn off them off (not remove)?
Ant
2015-05-19 19:36:54 UTC
I do it often because some things (e.g., theaters, concerts, work,
people, etc.) are too loud, and sometimes I just want peace and quiet.
It is sometimes nice to be have hearing problems to avoid loudness. ;)
--
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and
Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
masonc
2015-05-20 02:38:20 UTC
In a word: never
Ant
2015-05-20 02:44:58 UTC
Post by masonc
Post by Ant
I do it often because some things (e.g., theaters, concerts, work,
people, etc.) are too loud, and sometimes I just want peace and quiet.
It is sometimes nice to be have hearing problems to avoid loudness. ;)
In a word: never
Wow, even when annoyed with sounds, loudness, etc.? :/
--
"As I watch the busy ants on the trail and around the ant pile, I am
impressed by the fact that they are doers and not just believers." --CR 1967
A song (i/wa)s playing on this computer: Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko
masonc
2015-05-30 01:26:31 UTC
Post by masonc
I do it often because some things (e.g., theaters, concerts, work, h
people, etc.) are too loud, and sometimes I just want peace and quiet.
It is sometimes nice to be have hearing problems to avoid loudness. ;)
In a word: never
I take it back. In a restaurant the other day the noise was too much. I turned
it off. By the way, I'm setting my aid so that I can use the switch to lower
the sound. Using the loudness wheel is tricky and I don't trust its wear-out.
MasonC http://frontal-lobe.info
weamish
2015-05-20 19:46:24 UTC
I turn them off quite often around the house, whenever I'm doing anything that creates sharp sounds - putting dishes on the counter, emptying grocery bags, etc. Or when there are loud sounds coming in from outside (trucks backing up, garbage trucks, etc). Also at shopping malls or other public places where it begins to sound like I'm standing on the runway at the airport.

Must have on-off and volume controls on the aids, anything else is a deal-breaker for me.
Ant
2015-05-22 07:38:17 UTC
Post by weamish
I turn them off quite often around the house, whenever I'm doing anything that creates sharp sounds - putting dishes on the counter, emptying grocery bags, etc. Or when there are loud sounds coming in from outside (trucks backing up, garbage trucks, etc). Also at shopping malls or other public places where it begins to sound like I'm standing on the runway at the airport.
Must have on-off and volume controls on the aids, anything else is a deal-breaker for me.
Yeah, I use the volume control and power switch often too! It is nice to
be able to control that in loud situations. ;)
--
"A 'practical joker' deserves applause for his wit according to its
quality. Bastinado is about right. For exceptional wit one might grant
dsi1
2015-05-22 18:44:25 UTC
Post by weamish
I turn them off quite often around the house, whenever I'm doing anything that creates sharp sounds - putting dishes on the counter, emptying grocery bags, etc. Or when there are loud sounds coming in from outside (trucks backing up, garbage trucks, etc). Also at shopping malls or other public places where it begins to sound like I'm standing on the runway at the airport.
The aids can probably be programmed to be more comfortable with these
sounds - if they were made in the last 10 years or so. This is mostly
done by adjusting the maximum output on the aids. Reducing the high
frequencies a tad might also help.
Post by weamish
Must have on-off and volume controls on the aids, anything else is a deal-breaker for me.
Aids these days tend to not have on-off switches on the volume controls.
Most aids have no volume controls at all and if they do, they are
probably going to be "digital" volume controls, not the old analog ones
with the carbon element and wiper - these were unreliable and don't mesh
well with digital circuits.
weamish
well with digital circuits.
dsi1
2015-05-22 20:37:07 UTC
Post by weamish
I have Rexton aids from Costco, purchased in 2012 (tried almost everything on the market at that time, up to about $4k per aid, nothing was any better than the Costco aids). The rocker switch on the right aid controls volume, the one on the left changes programs. If the left switch is held down for a few seconds, the aids are powered off.
It's likely that there's still some drain on the batteries. If you want to really stop the battery drain, open the door. OTOH, I can't say if it'll make that much difference in battery life.
well with digital circuits.
Archer
2015-05-27 00:54:01 UTC
Post by dsi1
It's likely that there's still some drain on the batteries. If you want to really
stop the battery drain, open the door. OTOH, I can't say if it'll make
that much difference in battery life.
Just apply a piece of scotch tape over the airholes in the battery to improve
battery life.
--
HTH
Archer
Ant
2015-05-27 13:00:15 UTC
Post by Archer
Post by dsi1
It's likely that there's still some drain on the batteries. If you want to really
stop the battery drain, open the door. OTOH, I can't say if it'll make
that much difference in battery life.
Just apply a piece of scotch tape over the airholes in the battery to improve
battery life.
I always wondered. What's the point of these airholes on these tiny
batteries?
--
"The world flatters the elephant and tramples on the ant." --Indian
dsi1
2015-05-27 17:49:51 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Archer
Post by dsi1
It's likely that there's still some drain on the batteries. If you want to really
stop the battery drain, open the door. OTOH, I can't say if it'll make
that much difference in battery life.
Just apply a piece of scotch tape over the airholes in the battery to improve
battery life.
I always wondered. What's the point of these airholes on these tiny
batteries?
Removing the tab and allowing air to enter the tiny holes activates the batteries. It can take a few seconds for the voltage to reach 1.4V so if you have some problems with your aid when installing a new battery, wait about a minute before using.

Once you have pulled the tab on battery, it will self-discharge even if it's not used and it'll be completely dead in about a month. These batteries are supposed to last for about 3 years in storage but I'd recommend getting the freshest batteries you can get and use it up within a year.
Ant
2015-05-29 10:07:16 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by Archer
Post by dsi1
[...]
Thanks. I have had very old batteries from years ago that still last
about two weeks assuming I don't sleep with them on. :)
--
"He was a musical ant. He was there for the song." --Rick (Rick Moranis
episode from The Muppets)
dsi1
2015-05-29 23:25:19 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by Archer
Post by dsi1
[...]
With old batteries, it could go either way. You're lucky! New hearing aids are such battery hogs. They have a drain of 1.2 mili-amps and above. The older aids had a drain of .5 to .75 mA.
Ant
2015-05-30 04:01:46 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by Archer
Post by dsi1
[...]
I will be getting a digital hearing aid soon. So, the newer ones last
less than a week? :( Funny how my new audiologist asked me how long each
of my 675 battery usually last for my analog hearing aid. Heh.
--
"After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
dsi1
2015-05-30 06:49:57 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by Archer
Post by dsi1
[...]
10A = a little more than 4 days
312 = a little more than a week
13 = a little more than 2 weeks
675 = about 1 month

This is calculated at 16 hours a day.
Ant
2015-05-30 08:59:42 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
With old batteries, it could go either way. You're lucky! New hearing aids are such battery hogs. They have a drain of 1.2 mili-amps and above. The older aids had a drain of .5 to .75 mA.
I will be getting a digital hearing aid soon. So, the newer ones last
less than a week? :( Funny how my new audiologist asked me how long each
of my 675 battery usually last for my analog hearing aid. Heh.
10A = a little more than 4 days
312 = a little more than a week
13 = a little more than 2 weeks
675 = about 1 month
This is calculated at 16 hours a day.
Wow. Those are terrible! Those batteries better be cheap then! I barely
get half of a month with 675, and my analog hearing aids. Sheesh. I
wonder what the new digital Amplifons will use (don't know its model).
--
"When you can't fight on and drop to die; you're just a big tasty feast
for the crows, ants, buzzards and flies." --unknown
dsi1
2015-05-30 09:45:24 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
With old batteries, it could go either way. You're lucky! New hearing aids are such battery hogs. They have a drain of 1.2 mili-amps and above. The older aids had a drain of .5 to .75 mA.
I will be getting a digital hearing aid soon. So, the newer ones last
less than a week? :( Funny how my new audiologist asked me how long each
of my 675 battery usually last for my analog hearing aid. Heh.
10A = a little more than 4 days
312 = a little more than a week
13 = a little more than 2 weeks
675 = about 1 month
This is calculated at 16 hours a day.
Wow. Those are terrible! Those batteries better be cheap then! I barely
get half of a month with 675, and my analog hearing aids. Sheesh. I
wonder what the new digital Amplifons will use (don't know its model).
The typical quotes for the capacity of hearing aid cells:

10A = 90 mAh
312 = 150 mAh
13 = 300 mAh
675 = 600 mAh

I'm assuming an average daily use of 16 hours a day and a battery drain of 1.2 to 1.5 mA but a lot depends on the environment. The more noisy the environment, the more drain on the battery. You can get an estimate of battery life by dividing the capacity of the cell by the drain.
Ken Blake, MVP
2015-05-30 14:29:30 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
With old batteries, it could go either way. You're lucky! New hearing aids are such battery hogs. They have a drain of 1.2 mili-amps and above. The older aids had a drain of .5 to .75 mA.
I will be getting a digital hearing aid soon. So, the newer ones last
less than a week? :( Funny how my new audiologist asked me how long each
of my 675 battery usually last for my analog hearing aid. Heh.
10A = a little more than 4 days
312 = a little more than a week
13 = a little more than 2 weeks
675 = about 1 month
This is calculated at 16 hours a day.
Wow. Those are terrible! Those batteries better be cheap then! I barely
get half of a month with 675, and my analog hearing aids. Sheesh. I
wonder what the new digital Amplifons will use (don't know its model).
My hearing aids use 312 batteries and they typically last a little
less than a week. I buy them at Costco, where they cost a little less
than $.25 USD each. So my total cost is around $30 a year--not a
fortune.
weamish
2015-05-30 20:26:42 UTC
My size 13 batteries last about 2 weeks. Also get them from Costco (along with my hearing aids)
Ant
2015-05-31 03:36:19 UTC
Post by weamish
My size 13 batteries last about 2 weeks. Also get them from Costco (along with my hearing aids)
Heh, I just change my 675 battery in my old analog Oticon 380P hearing
aid a few hours ago. It was almost a couple weeks. :P
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
A song (i/wa)s playing on this computer: Gravity Pharm - Right Now
Don12345
Ant
2015-06-24 08:36:10 UTC
My new Oticon Sumo DM still uses 675 hearing aid types. Ha! I wonder if
it still lasts a couple weeks. We'll see!

On 6/23/2015 7:24 AM, Don12345 wrote:
Post by Don12345
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
I will be getting a digital hearing aid soon. So, the newer ones last
less than a week? :( Funny how my new audiologist asked me how long each
of my 675 battery usually last for my analog hearing aid. Heh.
10A = a little more than 4 days
312 = a little more than a week
13 = a little more than 2 weeks
675 = about 1 month
This is calculated at 16 hours a day.
312 - Mine last 11 days
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, hoboes and tramps... Crosseyed Mosquitoes and
bow-legged ants... I've come to tell you the story..." --Bob Holman
weamish
2015-05-27 19:04:24 UTC
Post by Ant
What's the point of these airholes on these tiny
batteries?
Battery FAQ -

http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_hq/b2b/en/products/more_products/_documents/FAQ_Standard_Zinc_Air.pdf
Don12345
2015-06-23 14:21:53 UTC
I never turn mine off while I am wearing them. They filter out loud
noise. I turn mine off at night when I go to bed and I open the battery
door. I think that is important. My aids are 12 years old and they still
work very well and they have never needed any repairs.

I won't tell what brand they are because I don't want to advertise the
brand. Because I was supposed to get free batteries for life and they
cut me OFF after about 7 years. Of course, that is the dealer doing
that. I should write to the hearing aid company and tell them what this
dealer did. I paid that dealer $6,800 for a pair. Now when I go to a
dealer, a set runs about $4,000 and one told me "WOW, we don't even have
hearing aids that cost that much and THAT was 12 years ago!

Don
Ant
2015-06-24 08:27:41 UTC
Wow, I thought $2K was expensive for my Oticon Sumo DM! Why is yours so
expensive? Is it rare? Special custom? 12 years? Lucky. Mine started
having issues after maybe 3-5 years. :(
Post by Ant
I do it often because some things (e.g., theaters, concerts, work,
people, etc.) are too loud, and sometimes I just want peace and quiet.
It is sometimes nice to be have hearing problems to avoid loudness. ;)
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
Don12345
2015-06-24 14:21:09 UTC
Well, I guess that was to include free batteries for life. I was
ignorant and told the audio I wanted the very best he had. But like I
said he cut the free batteries off prematurely at around 7 years. I
should have reported him to the manufacturer.
Ian Scott