speech comprehension
weamish
2015-06-06 19:31:45 UTC
Interesting article -

www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/opinion/oliver-sacks-mishearings.html
masonc
2015-06-07 19:12:35 UTC
Post by weamish
Interesting article -
www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/opinion/oliver-sacks-mishearings.html
yes. excellent article
Ant
2015-06-08 06:15:24 UTC
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/opinion/oliver-sacks-mishearings.html
Agreed. I have had this problem ever since I was little since I was born
mostly deaf. :( I tell people to type their sayings out due to my
hearing impediment. Same for me with my speech impediment. :(
--
"I used to command a battalion of German ants." --Tom
| |o o| |
weamish
2015-06-08 19:35:34 UTC
I find that people are generally ok with asking them to repeat something once, but the second or third time it gets old quick. I usually give up and just nod, hoping that was at least a vaguely appropriate response.
dsi1
2015-06-09 17:07:08 UTC
That's quite a universal experience.
masonc
2015-06-09 19:53:16 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by weamish
I find that people are generally ok with asking them to repeat something once, but the second or third time it gets old quick. I usually give up and just nod, hoping that was at least a vaguely appropriate response.
That's quite a universal experience.
Rather than hiding my hearing aid (as advertised). I point my aid at them
to both let them see it and to better use it.
Ant
2015-06-09 21:22:23 UTC
Post by masonc
Post by dsi1
Post by weamish
I find that people are generally ok with asking them to repeat something once, but the second or third time it gets old quick. I usually give up and just nod, hoping that was at least a vaguely appropriate response.
That's quite a universal experience.
Rather than hiding my hearing aid (as advertised). I point my aid at them
to both let them see it and to better use it.
I can't hide mine even if I got black headband and hair to cover it. :P
--
"Many ants kill a camel." --Turkish
dsi1
2015-06-10 17:42:31 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by masonc
Post by dsi1
Post by weamish
I find that people are generally ok with asking them to repeat something once, but the second or third time it gets old quick. I usually give up and just nod, hoping that was at least a vaguely appropriate response.
That's quite a universal experience.
Rather than hiding my hearing aid (as advertised). I point my aid at them
to both let them see it and to better use it.
I can't hide mine even if I got black headband and hair to cover it. :P
I saw a friend yesterday with a pretty big hearing loss. I'm used to seeing him with the big tubing and large earmolds but he was wearing a RIC style aid with small earmolds/thin wires. It was pretty discreet. He has no hair on his head so it was quite something to see.
Ant
2015-06-11 02:00:32 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Post by masonc
Post by dsi1
Post by weamish
I find that people are generally ok with asking them to repeat something once, but the second or third time it gets old quick. I usually give up and just nod, hoping that was at least a vaguely appropriate response.
That's quite a universal experience.
Rather than hiding my hearing aid (as advertised). I point my aid at them
to both let them see it and to better use it.
I can't hide mine even if I got black headband and hair to cover it. :P
I saw a friend yesterday with a pretty big hearing loss. I'm used to seeing him with the big tubing and large earmolds but he was wearing a RIC style aid with small earmolds/thin wires. It was pretty discreet. He has no hair on his head so it was quite something to see.
I have never seen anyone, with no hair, wear a bone conduction hearing aid.
--
"He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo
| |o o| |
Orchestra - Mortal Kombat Theme
dsi1
Me neither but I'm sure they're around.
Ant
2015-06-12 01:42:33 UTC
On 6/11/2015 2:02 AM, dsi1 wrote:
Post by dsi1
Me neither but I'm sure they're around.
Yeah, very rare. My bone conduction hearing aid is rare. :D
--
"Even an ant can hurt an elephant." --Proverb
Orchestra - Beverly Hills Cop Theme
dsi1
2015-06-12 05:03:52 UTC
Would this be a bone anchored device?
Ant
2015-06-13 15:15:48 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Yeah, very rare. My bone conduction hearing aid is rare. :D
Would this be a bone anchored device?
If you mean the impant type, then no. It's just its oscillator over my
head side (my right). I was born without ear canals. :(

Also, see my "An analog to digital hearing aid newbie with Oticon
hearing aids." thread about my new hearing aid. ;)
--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
Circus
dsi1
2015-06-15 20:11:33 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Yeah, very rare. My bone conduction hearing aid is rare. :D
Would this be a bone anchored device?
If you mean the impant type, then no. It's just its oscillator over my
head side (my right). I was born without ear canals. :(
Also, see my "An analog to digital hearing aid newbie with Oticon
hearing aids." thread about my new hearing aid. ;)
Best of luck with your new Oticons! :-)
Ant
2015-06-17 16:09:35 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by Ant
Also, see my "An analog to digital hearing aid newbie with Oticon
hearing aids." thread about my new hearing aid. ;)
Best of luck with your new Oticons! :-)
Thanks. I am still not used to it. :-( I think I will need to tell my
audiologist to do some tweakings.
--
"I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is
a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until... Oh, what the hell,