Blocked Eustachian tube
James King
2009-05-28 17:41:04 UTC
My hearing problem has to do with blocked Eustachian tube.
If I blow my nose, my hearing improves a lot. But it lasts only for a
minute or so.
Then, Eustachian tube becomes blocked again. Generally, Eustachian tube
remain blocked unless I blow my nose.
Does anybody know how to keep Eustachian tube unblocked?
Any medicine helps? James
Dr. Michael W. Ridenhour
2009-05-29 00:41:19 UTC
Post by James King
My hearing problem has to do with blocked Eustachian tube.
If I blow my nose, my hearing improves a lot. But it lasts only for a
minute or so.
Then, Eustachian tube becomes blocked again. Generally, Eustachian tube
remain blocked unless I blow my nose.
Does anybody know how to keep Eustachian tube unblocked?
Any medicine helps? James
The Eustachian tube (ET) is supposed to stay closed most of the time,
opening when swallowing to relieve slight pressure changes behind the
eardrum. People whose ET remain open are sufferers of a really annoying
condition. They will do almost anything to have them close, even
resorting to mild acid being introduced into the tube to make it close.
Forget about what you perceive as a problem. It isn't and if you don't
obsess about it, it will cease to be a problem in a few days.

Dr. Ridenhour
MeatmartUSA
2009-05-29 01:59:34 UTC
Post by Dr. Michael W. Ridenhour
Post by James King
[...]
I have had this condition a few times. You can hear yourself breathing
and it sounds like you're in a cave with the air blowing in. It is
annoying and you find yourself taking shallow breaths to try to
control it. It also causes movement of the eardrum which can be a
little painful. Sticking your finger in your ear helps a lot but you'd
be surprised at how many folks find a guy walking around with their
finger in such a location "weird."

My guess is that the main reason one gets this is dehydration or
possibly antihistamines may aggravate this. The good news is that I've
never gotten this in both ears at the same time. That would be hell.
maree
2009-05-30 06:14:15 UTC
Hi James,

You have fluid in your Eustachian tube. There are some good medications
available OTC, but I would recommend you see a doctor first. It would appear
you have an existing hearing loss independent of the Eustachian tube, which
has been exacerbated by the fluid problem. Those with normal hearing, should
not be too much affected by trouble with their Eustacian tube/s.

Regards, Maree

James King
2009-05-31 20:08:52 UTC
Give me a few OTC medication.
I am currently taking lipo-flavonoid to increase blood circulation. That is
what my doctor advised me.
It would be another 6 months for the next appointment with my doctor.
Meanwhile, I am tempted to try OTC medicine.
James
maree

James King
2009-06-02 16:17:09 UTC
Thanks.

James
Regards, Maree
m***@anywhere.net
2009-06-03 23:07:20 UTC
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:17:09 -0600, "James King"
Post by James King
Thanks.
James
Post by maree
Ask for an antihistamine called Loratadine. It is a once daily medication
that works very well.
Regards, Maree
I have a "dysfunctional" Eustachian tube, and my right ear feels full
much of the time. Typanometry shows essentially normal function, but
I know the difference.

I recommend use of a Neti pot with mild saline solution, and just
tried Nasonex with good results.

Good luck.
Gerald
2009-06-05 22:23:25 UTC
Post by m***@anywhere.net
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:17:09 -0600, "James King"
Post by James King
Thanks.
James
Post by maree
Ask for an antihistamine called Loratadine. It is a once daily medication
that works very well.
Regards, Maree
I have a "dysfunctional" Eustachian tube, and my right ear feels full
much of the time. Typanometry shows essentially normal function, but
I know the difference.
I recommend use of a Neti pot with mild saline solution, and just
tried Nasonex with good results.
Good luck.
I tried that, but it seemed to make matters worse. Maybe I did it
wrong.
c***@gmail.com
It's been almost two months of my right ear plugged and my hearing is very poor in that ear. I didn't have a cold - one day I just had this problem. 'Forget what you 'perceive' as a problem? Don't 'obsess about it' . .how arrogant can you get? Thanks for you caring comments, 'Doctor'.
masonc
2017-03-08 05:19:08 UTC
Post by James King
[...]
Ugly manners. Dr. Ridenhour is absolutly right. As a flyer changing
altitude, I learned to OPEN my tube for a moment by yawning or
swallowing.
Gerald
2009-06-05 22:23:30 UTC
On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:41:04 -0600, "James King"
Post by James King
My hearing problem has to do with blocked Eustachian tube.
If I blow my nose, my hearing improves a lot. But it lasts only for a
minute or so.
Then, Eustachian tube becomes blocked again. Generally, Eustachian tube
remain blocked unless I blow my nose.
Does anybody know how to keep Eustachian tube unblocked?
Any medicine helps? James
I know exactly how you feel. I've been experiencing that for
several years. It started off being almost un-noticeable. In the
past year it is quite aggravating.

My hearing is not normal, and I wear a hearing aid. Have for six
years now.

I don't have to go as far as blowing my nose to relieve the pressure
(or what ever it is) I can merely blow into my mouth (cheeks) with
lips closed and the backup will usually cause my hearing to improve.
That will last for a few minutes or sometimes an hour or so.

I do not know what is wrong and neither does my doctor. I saw an
interesting device on the internet recently called an "earpopper".

It requires a doctors prescription and costs about $200. I have an
appointment with the doctor in a couple of weeks. I'm going to ask
him about it. It sure looks like it would help.

Hear is an interesting article about this condition.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2006/0105-ear_popper.htm

And here is the earpopper

http://www.earpopper.com/

Good luck
weamish
2017-03-08 19:24:44 UTC
Check out "patulous eustachian tube dysfunction"

http://hearing.yale.edu/care/adult/diseases/tube_dysfunction.aspx

http://www.earfdn.org/A-New-Medication-to-Control-Patulous-Eustachian-Tube-Disorders-Article.htm