Hearing aids
Henry
2014-04-11 18:50:29 UTC
Does anyone have experience with Costco's hearing aids. The brands they
carry are:

Bernafon
Phonak
ReSound
Rexton

These are $2650 a pair.

Costco Kirkland cost $1899 a pair.

They are all BTE types.

Sams Club has Liberty brand at $3200 a pair.

I've googled these and came away confused and not really able to compare any
of them.

Thanks

Henry
Ken Blake, MVP
2014-04-11 19:15:05 UTC
Post by Henry
Does anyone have experience with Costco's hearing aids. The brands they
Bernafon
Phonak
ReSound
Rexton
These are $2650 a pair.
Costco Kirkland cost $1899 a pair.
They are all BTE types.
Sams Club has Liberty brand at $3200 a pair.
I've googled these and came away confused and not really able to compare any
of them.
I'm wearing the Bernafon hearing aids. I've had them since last March.
They seem OK to me, but I have nothing to compare them with.
Abe
2014-04-13 05:41:32 UTC
Post by Henry
Does anyone have experience with Costco's hearing aids. The brands they
Bernafon
Phonak
ReSound
Rexton
These are $2650 a pair.
Costco Kirkland cost $1899 a pair.
All brand name (credible) aids are quite similar in design and
execution, including these. All of them cost less than $100 per unit in
parts and assembly - markups are high due to R&D, warranty, associated
services, and returns.

The challenge is in the fitting (setting up the software to fit the
need), and that varies a LOT. Audiologists are technically more skilled
and better trained than non-degreed "dispensers", and in my experience
work to a higher standard.

At those prices you cannot make an error. You have (in most of the U.S.)
30 days in which the aids can be returned. Don't expect the fitting to
be optimum at first - keep coming back until you're satisfied.

ALWAYS choose the BTE format - I'll be glad to post that argument if
anyone is interested.

Costco's prices are excellent - and the house brand is probably the
functional equivalent of the others.

The alternative to Costco is do-it-yourself. Buy the aids online, with a
fitting kit from a company like America Hears. For many, that works well
at about $1,000 per ear, and you have the ability to adjust performance
at any time.

GOOD LUCK
dsi1
2014-04-13 16:55:38 UTC
Post by Abe
Post by Henry
Does anyone have experience with Costco's hearing aids. The brands they
Bernafon
Phonak
ReSound
Rexton
These are $2650 a pair.
Costco Kirkland cost $1899 a pair.
All brand name (credible) aids are quite similar in design and
execution, including these. All of them cost less than $100 per unit in
parts and assembly - markups are high due to R&D, warranty, associated
services, and returns.
Hearing aids are expensive because their sales are controlled and
regulated.
Post by Abe
The challenge is in the fitting (setting up the software to fit the
need), and that varies a LOT. Audiologists are technically more skilled
and better trained than non-degreed "dispensers", and in my experience
work to a higher standard.
At those prices you cannot make an error. You have (in most of the U.S.)
30 days in which the aids can be returned. Don't expect the fitting to
be optimum at first - keep coming back until you're satisfied.
ALWAYS choose the BTE format - I'll be glad to post that argument if
anyone is interested.
Never say "always" or "never" unless you say "never say never." In this
case, you can always say "never" or "always." The choice should always
be a BTE unless, it's an ITE.
GOOD LUCK
Ed Presson
2014-05-24 17:30:02 UTC
"Henry" wrote in message news:li9dgr$lvh$***@dont-email.me...

Does anyone have experience with Costco's hearing aids. The brands they
carry are:

Bernafon
Phonak
ReSound
Rexton

These are $2650 a pair.

Costco Kirkland cost $1899 a pair.

They are all BTE types.

Sams Club has Liberty brand at $3200 a pair.

I've googled these and came away confused and not really able to compare any
of them.
__________________________
Two years ago, I visited four different hearing aid vendors; got my hearing
tested at each and was given price estimates. Costco's Kirkland Signature
hearing aids at $1800 (made at that time by Rexton) was my choice.
Comparing the specs of the various models, I found these aids comparable to
the competition in performance and features, but they came with many extras
(rechargeable batteries, battery recharger, etc. that were well worth while.
I've been satisfied with them and Costco's service has been fine.

Good luck with your selection.

Ed
Ken
2014-05-26 03:44:07 UTC
After about 40 years experience with hearing loss the conclusion I have come to is that all the leading brands will do the job. But only if the wearer is briefed by his audiologist how to use his aids. It is hard work but, if you put in the effort, you can regain sufficient hearing to return to the world.

All the problems are partially surmountable if you are sufficiently motivated.

The figures quoted in this thread are misleading because they include the cost of the audiologist's time. A good audie is worth at least as much as a good GP.

I am convinced that this confusing way of selling hearing aids and the services of audiologists is a disastrous marketing system. The perception of hearing aids and the people who sell them probably ranks below politicians and financial advisers.

But the greatest loss is to the hearing-impaired. I can state from experience that good hearing aids and good audiologists can transform lives. The ridiculous system for marketing hearing aids (which pretends that audiologists either do not exist or, else, work for nothing) is a disaster for both the suppliers and the potential market.
s***@gmail.com
I wouldn't buy Costco hearing aids at all, unles you only care about price. There are a lot of other factors that you really have to take into consideration. Like service, bundling, repairs. DId you know costco won't service your hearing aid after 5 years? If you want your hearing aid to last longer, costco might not be a good option. here are some more pros and cons to buying from costco. http://www.hustonhearing.com/archives/729
masonc
2014-11-06 20:27:18 UTC
Huston seems to be a local, Spokane,Washington hearing aid store.
With competent and aggressive marketing.
There is no reason to credit their "reviews"
(of course they don't like Costco)

I recommend looking at America Hears or their Australian counterpart for
the lowest prices and good online service. I've been using one of theirs for
eight years. Self-adjusted has been important to me.
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Henry
[...]
---
d'Wooluf
2014-11-10 02:39:53 UTC
Post by masonc
Huston seems to be a local, Spokane,Washington hearing aid store.
With competent and aggressive marketing.
There is no reason to credit their "reviews"
(of course they don't like Costco)
I recommend looking at America Hears or their Australian counterpart for
the Australian counterpart being Blaimey & Saunders. They seem to be
getting more expensive these days, but I do want their newest one.

So rare to see an on-topic post on Usenet these days that I just had
to respond. Masonc, your posts were one of the reasons I went down
that road and I haven't regretted it. So thanks. Who remembers artis?
Was that his name?
--
John